Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Svetlana's Quilt

 

A few years ago, my friend Svetlana admired a tied quilt made for me by my late grandmother. I decided recently to make Svetlana her own tied quilt. As she has pink curtains in her bedroom, I wanted to incorporate pink and gray fabrics in the quilt. I started with these fabrics:
 
 
In the end, though, I didn't like the apple green or the dark gray fabrics and substituted in the following fabrics:
 
 
I laid out my 5.5 inch squares in a 20x19 grid for a queen sized quilt.
This is the top half:

This is the bottom half:
 
Next, I sewed the squares together with a quarter inch seam allowance to finish the quilt top:

 
I brought it home to Wisconsin where my mom helped me to assemble and tie the quilt:
 










 
Next, my mom and I finished the quilt by hand-sewing the edges:
 
 
Finally, I added a label:
 
 
The final quilt:
 
My first tied quilt was a success - Svetlana loves it!


No comments:

Post a Comment