Saturday, March 26, 2011

Flower Festival Quilt

My first quilt is inspired by the book Flower Festival - 50 Applique blocks to Grow Your Garden by Kim Schaefer. I traveled home to Wisconsin the second week of October to ask my mom to help me learn how to applique. I believe she might have thought that my choice of an initial project was a bit ambitious, but is now impressed with my progress. She helped me to choose from my fabric stash and fuse my first flowers onto the background squares. I practiced machine applique, but was frustrated by puckering of my fabrics with the sewing. Upon returning home to Austin, TX, though, I visited my local JoAnn's Fabrics and they recommended adding a stabilizer backing to eliminate the puckering. I seemed to be on a roll, as within a couple of weeks I had all 16 of my flower fabrics fused and ready to be machine appliqued.















No comments:

Post a Comment